Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
These sweet and sticky Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins are packed with goodness to leave you feeling satisfied and guilt free!
Wholemeal flour, nuts, banana, and honey fill my Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins with fibre, protein, natural sugar, vitamins and minerals. All are required as part of a healthy balanced diet and will also leave you feeling fuller for longer. Which is a bonus if you’re like me and HAVE to eat every hour.
This weeks post doesn’t come to you from the garden. It is an essential therapeutic baking session to escape from an already busy and testing year.
You may have seen our first born, Ralph a 9 year old Bichon, had an operation this week to fix both cruciate ligaments on his hind legs. Apparently it’s a degenerative condition that can happen to any breed. Ralph was just unlucky enough for it to happen to both knees at the same time. It was like his back legs had been replace with overcooked spaghetti when his legs went from under him in January. Four days after the operation he can now stand unaided and take a few confident steps. It’s really positive and the vet is happy with his recovery. He’ll soon be back to his usual self, balancing on his hind legs humping every dog he meets.
Along with a poorly pooch work has been particularly challenging. Without boring you too much. I will say that any change in life can be very unsettling. I’ve gone from being a PA in a department for over two years, to two new and completely different departments that I know nothing about. At times it’s been quite overwhelming and I have questioned everything, including my ability to do the job. I know this is a normal process of change, so I try not to let the doubt consume me. I’m surrounded by people who will support me through it, and I have an escape in baking. It won’t be long before I bounce back and my confidence in the new role grows. I will soon give my doubts the middle finger and tell them where to go!
Back to the Muffins. I believe the kids are off next week, I understand they need entertaining and feeding. I made these with Gary this weekends so I know they are child approved 😜
Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 22 minutes
58g Smooth peanut butter (natural unsweetened 100% peanut butter)
57g Olive oil
56g Runny honey
56g Light soft brown sugar
1 Large free range egg
30 ml Semi skimmed milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
225g Wholemeal flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Ground allspice
2 tsp baking powder
56g Walnuts, roughly chopped
2 large ripe bananas, peeled and roughly mashed with the back of a fork.
Sprinkle of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 180 fan / Gas mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 10 cases.
- In a large bowl mix together the peanut butter, olive oil, honey and brown sugar.
- When the mixture is smooth beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour, salt, allspice, and baking powder until just combined. Do not over mix the flour.
- Stir in the mashed banana and walnuts to evenly distribute through the batter.
- Equally divide the batter into 10 muffin cases, lightly sprinkle with nutmeg, then pop into the oven. Bake for around 22 minutes, until the skewer test is clean.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They are at their stickiest on day 2 😋
- Over mixing flour releases gluten and will give your sponge a chewy texture.
- Mashing the bananas into a pulp will make the batter too runny. This will give your muffins a strange texture and take forever to bake. Trust me I’ve done it before!
- Skewer test the muffins by inserting a toothpick, the toothpick will come out clean when the muffins are baked. Don’t be fooled by mashed banana, test a couple of muffins.
- The intensity of the banana flavour depends on the ripeness of the banana. I prefer a ripe banana with a few black freckles.
I have a selection of delicious brunch and breakfast recipes on my blog. You can search for these under the Breakfast Club category. My personal favourite is Sticky Maple and Pecan Glazed Cinnamon Rolls
If you love my Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins let me know by rating or commenting below. You can share them with your friends and family by using the social media icons below.